Versão Portuguesa 
 Version française 

Castelo de Vide, is a town very close to Marvão, during which time depended administrative and militarily.  

 The historical area of Castelo de Vide, is a collection of medieval Jewish Quarter with invaluable and Burgo medieval apiñado between tortuous streets, embraced, protected by a vast walled perimeter.


Dinis ordered, as in other parts of the border, rebuilding his castle which was completed by Afonso IV in the year 1327. The presence of an ancient chapel and the Synagogue, are living exponent of the so-called "three cultures" and the small but well-organized societies of the time. As the city grew, adding new paintings from walls, reinforced by numerous towers. Of these excels keep which was built advanced on the southern tip of the fortress was one of the most desguarnecidos and accessible. In 1276 Castelo de Vide break its dependence on neighboring Marvão, forming their own council or municipality.

As the population becomes its own entity, several suburbs were developed outside the city for less rugged terrain of the southeast. In these nuclei refugiaran large numbers of Jews from Castile, from where came after heber been expelled from the kingdom. There was born the chapel Santa Maria in 1311, later being erected on the same plot the Church. The vineyard, olive grove and the wool industry, were the basis of the livelihood of its people, stressing the same, fruit trees and livestock. In peacetime, establishing a current commercial Castile, which was interrupted when hostilities began. The king D. Manuel gives new charter to the city by establishing rules and laws for the development and administration of the city governed, among other things, the establishment of the market in the Rossio Square, which tended to swing his physical and commercial hub of the same.

A new period of war with Spain lasted nearly 20 years, from the plaza at the hands of Spain, which again reinforced defenses. After the contest again in the hands of the crown lusa, stood up a new line of defense abaluartada, with its ditches, and revellines surrounded bastions population, partly melting the medieval structures. F uera of the city on the hill San Roque, rose a strong complement to the fortified enclosure. Since 1704 the plaza again suffered the consequences of a new war with Spain, leaving their ruined fortifications.

Wars of Independence Peninsulares waged by Portugal, Spain and Britain against the invading French, Portuguese and civil strife, caused a decline in population and its economic and commercial life, while Portalegre emerges as an economic power and, moving her much of the activity that took place there earlier. The abandonment of the city by the garrison that was defending, left out of service and maintenance fortifications who suffered a progressive deterioration. Today thes monuments of the population has value and properly promoted and care has become a hotbed of intersting touris attraction.                                                                                                                                             fotografias propiedad del autor

  Antonio García Candelas        Suggestions and impressions